ASSEMBLY, No. 2329
STATE OF NEW JERSEY
INTRODUCED FEBRUARY 19, 2004
Assemblyman JEFF VAN DREW
District 1 (Cape May, Atlantic and Cumberland)
Assemblyman FREDERICK SCALERA
District 36 (Bergen, Essex and Passaic)
Authorizes Boy Scouts license plate.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
(Sponsorship Updated As Of: 2/25/2004)
An Act concerning special Boy Scout license plates and supplementing chapter 3 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. The Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles shall, upon proper application therefor, issue a Boy Scouts license plate for any motor vehicle owned or leased and registered in the State. In addition to the registration number and other markings or identification otherwise prescribed by law, the plate shall display wording and a design, including an emblem and color scheme chosen by the director, in consultation with the New Jersey councils of the Boy Scouts of America.
2. Application for a Boy Scouts license plate shall be made to the Division of Motor Vehicles on forms and in a manner prescribed by the director and shall be accompanied by a fee of $50, which shall be in addition to all fees otherwise required by law for the registration of the motor vehicle. The annual renewal of a registration certificate of a motor vehicle that has been issued a Boy Scouts license plate shall be accompanied by an additional fee of $10. The $50 application fee and $10 renewal fee shall be deposited by the division in the Boy Scouts Fund created pursuant to section 3 of this act.
3. There shall be deposited into a special non-lapsing account to be known as the "Boy Scouts Fund" the additional application and renewal fees collected pursuant to section 2 of this act and any interest earned thereon, less the amounts necessary to reimburse the division for administrative costs pursuant to section 4 of this act. Monies deposited in the fund shall be dedicated to projects and programs that benefit the New Jersey councils of the Boy Scouts of America in proportion to their membership in the national organization.
4. a. Prior to the deposit of license plate fees collected pursuant to section 2 of this act into the Boy Scouts Fund, amounts thereof as are necessary shall be used to reimburse the division for costs reasonably and actually incurred, as stipulated by the director, for producing, issuing, renewing and publicizing the availability of Boy Scouts license plates, including the cost of any initial computer programming changes.
b. The director annually shall certify to the State Treasurer the average cost per license plate incurred in the immediately preceding year by the division in producing, issuing, renewing and publicizing the availability of Boy Scouts license plates. The annual certification of the average cost per license plate shall be approved by the Joint Budget Oversight Committee, or its successor.
c. In the event that the average cost per license plate as certified by the director and approved by the Joint Budget Oversight Committee, or its successor, is greater than the $50 application fee established in section 2 of this act in two consecutive fiscal years, the director may discontinue the issuance of Boy Scouts license plates.
5. The director shall notify eligible motorists of the opportunity to obtain Boy Scouts license plates by including a notice with all motor vehicle registration renewals and by posting appropriate posters or signs in all division facilities and offices. The notices, posters and signs shall be designed by the division, after consultation with the New Jersey councils of the Boy Scouts of America.
6. This act shall take effect on the first day of the sixth month after enactment.
This bill would authorize a Boy Scouts license plate to support and proportionately fund projects and programs of Boy Scout councils throughout the State. The design of the license plate would be chosen by the Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles in consultation with the councils.
There would be a $50 initial fee in addition to the registration fees required by law, with a $10 annual fee in addition to the renewal fees required by law. The monies raised from the fees for the license plate would be deposited into a fund also established by this bill, to be known as the "Boy Scouts Fund," after reimbursement to the Division of Motor Vehicles for costs of producing and issuing the plates.