STATE OF NEW JERSEY
PRE-FILED FOR INTRODUCTION IN THE 2010 SESSION
Assemblyman JOHN DIMAIO
District 23 (Warren and Hunterdon)
Assemblywoman LINDA R. GREENSTEIN
District 14 (Mercer and Middlesex)
Assemblymen Wolfe, Chivukula, Rumpf, Burzichelli, Assemblywoman Pou, Assemblymen Thompson, Biondi, Assemblywoman Voss, Assemblyman McKeon, Assemblywoman McHose, Assemblymen Gusciora, Dancer, Assemblywoman Oliver, Assemblymen Malone, Holzapfel, Moriarty, Bramnick, Assemblywoman Stender, Assemblymen Cryan, Diegnan, Russo, Johnson, Greenwald, Conners, Green, DeCroce, Conaway, Assemblywomen Watson Coleman, Vainieri Huttle, Assemblymen Giblin, Albano, Prieto, Assemblywoman Quigley, Assemblymen Egan, Schaer, Assemblywoman Lampitt, Assemblymen Scalera, Chiusano, Assemblywoman Tucker, Assemblymen P. Barnes, III, Caputo, Coutinho, Assemblywoman Rodriguez, Assemblymen Chiappone, Ramos, Assemblywoman Wagner, Assemblymen Rudder, Rumana, Rible, Assemblywoman Coyle, Assemblymen Amodeo, Polistina, Assemblywoman Angelini, Assemblyman O'Scanlon, Assemblywomen Jasey, Quijano, N.Munoz, Assemblymen Peterson, Schroeder, Wisniewski, Mainor, Assemblywoman Riley, Assemblymen DiCicco, Wilson, Milam, O'Donnell, Fuentes, Coughlin, Assemblywoman Evans and Assemblyman Benson
Designates "I'm From New Jersey" as the State song.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
Introduced Pending Technical Review by Legislative Counsel
An Act designating "I'm From New Jersey" as the State song.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. The State song shall be the words and music of the song entitled "I'm From New Jersey," composed by Joseph Rocco Mascari, professionally known as Red Mascara.
2. This act shall take effect immediately.
"I'm From New Jersey" is a State song, written, published, recorded and produced especially for and dedicated to the State of New Jersey.
It is a State song which is also adaptable for local use to any municipality having a name containing two or three syllables.
Words and music are by Red Mascara, of Phillipsburg, New Jersey. Published by Sands Music Corp., 10153½ Riverside Drive #107, Toluca Lake, Cal. 91602, ASCAP, recorded on Anniversary Records by the Chordblenders with the Parke Frankenfield Orchestra. Commercially arranged by John Warrington. Licensed by the American Federation of Musicians of the U.S. and Canada.
Red Mascara has been the recipient of an ASCAPLUS Award in each year from 1999 to 2001.
"I'm From New Jersey" was written in the year 1960, and since then has been brought directly to the people of New Jersey for their approval and support. The following are some of the known accomplishments the song has to its credit as a result of the people's reaction.
"I'm From New Jersey" was first used as the official song for the Phillipsburg, N.J. Centennial Celebration in the spring of 1961.
It was the official song for the Alpha, N.J. and Milford, N.J. Golden Jubilee Celebrations in the summer of 1961.
It was the official song for the Dunellen, N.J. Diamond Jubilee, and West Orange, N.J. Centennial Celebrations in 1962.
An adapted version was also used as the official song for the Allentown, Pa. Bicentennial Celebration in the spring of 1962.
It was the introductory theme song on the Perry Como TV Show in his salute to the State of New Jersey on January 3, 1962.
It was the featured song in the South Amboy, N.J. Knights of Columbus Minstrel show on March 3, 1962.
In 1963, "I'm From New Jersey" was selected to be the official song for the Lopatcong, N.J. Centennial; Livingston, Sesquicentennial; Hillside, Golden Jubilee; Franklin, Golden Jubilee.
In connection with the 1964 New Jersey State Tercentenary Celebration, "I'm From New Jersey" was adopted by the Warren County Tercentenary Committee as the official song for Warren County during the celebration and was endorsed as the official State Song for New Jersey. It was also endorsed by the Union County Tercentenary Committee, Rutherford Tercentenary Committee, Hunterdon County Tercentenary Committee and was the featured song of many of the musical units for New Jersey which performed at the 1964 World's Fair.
"I'm From New Jersey" was also the theme song for the New Jersey State Republican Delegation to the Republican National Convention in 1964 and 1972.
In 1965, it was the official march song for the Morristown 250th Anniversary.
In 1966, it was the official song for the Miss N.J. World Beauty Pageant held in Long Branch, N.J.
In 1968, it was the theme song of the Franklin High School Band of Somerset, N.J. when it represented N.J. at the National Jaycee Convention in Arizona. It was also the theme song of the Oakcrest Regional High School Band of Mays Landing, N.J. when it represented N.J. in the Festival of States in St. Petersburg, Florida.
"I'm From New Jersey" passed the General Assembly of the State of New Jersey in 1966, 1968, 1971 and 1980. In 1972 and 1979, it passed the Senate and General Assembly. In 1982, it passed the Senate.
In 1979, a bill designated "I'm From New Jersey" as the official State song passed both houses of the New Jersey State Jaycees Model Legislature.
"I'm From New Jersey" was also the theme song for the 1979 Miss New Jersey Teen U.S.A., Valerie DePena, of Cherry Hill, N.J. in her campaign to become Miss Teen U.S.A.
In 1980, "I'm From New Jersey" was featured on the David Letterman show.
"I'm From New Jersey" was also featured on the "Uncle Floyd TV Show" on New Jersey Television.
In 1988, "I'm From New Jersey" was the official song for the Livingston, N.J. 175th Anniversary.
In 1989, "I'm From New Jersey" was featured on "The Osgood File" segment of the CBS-TV "This Morning Show."
The State version and adapted versions of "I'm From New Jersey" have been included in the school, youth and musical programs of many municipalities throughout the State, in addition to the song being adopted as the theme for many musical units in New Jersey. A number of municipalities have also adopted "I'm From New Jersey" as their official municipal song.
To date, "I'm From New Jersey" has been adopted or endorsed by the following municipalities and organizations, which represent millions of New Jerseyans.
1. Phillipsburg, N.J. 25. Wildwood Crest, N.J.
2. Alpha, N.J. 26. Roselle, N.J.
3. Milford, N.J. 27. Jersey City, N.J.
4. Washington, N.J. 28. Millville, N.J.
5. Hackettstown, N.J. 29. Newton, N.J.
6. Belvidere, N.J. 30. Wildwood, N.J.
7. Flemington, N.J 31. Franklin, N.J.
8. Netcong, N.J. 32. Newark, N.J.
9. Lambertville, N.J. 33. Middlesex, N.J.
10. Lopatcong, N.J. 34. Cliffside Park, N.J.
11. South Amboy, N.J. 35. Bernardsville, N.J.
12. Secaucus, N.J. 36. Vineland, N.J.
13. Dunellen, N.J. 37. Rutherford, N.J.
14. West Orange, N.J. 38. Asbury Park, N.J.
15. South Brunswick, N.J. 39. Hopatcong, N.J.
16. Union, N.J. 40. Atlantic City, N.J.
17. Springfield, N.J. 41. Mansfield, N.J.
18. Livingston, N.J. 42. Bayonne, N.J.
19. Irvington, N.J. 43. Woodbridge, N.J.
20. New Brunswick, N.J. 44. Morristown, N.J.
21. North Wildwood, N.J. 45. West Wildwood, N.J.
22. Hoboken, N.J. 46. Longport, N.J.
23. Hillside, N.J. 47. Old Bridge Twp., N.J.
24. Union City, N.J.
*1. N.J. State Association of Chiefs of Police (Statewide)
*2. N.J. State Patrolmen's Benevolent Association (Statewide)
3. Warren County American Legion
*4. New Jersey State Exchange Clubs (Statewide)
5. Phillipsburg Exchange Club
6. Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks, Lodge No. 395
*7. N.J. State Exempt Firemen's Association (Statewide)
8. Musicians Protective Union Local 379, covering Warren and part of Hunterdon counties
9. Phillipsburg Lions Club
10. Fraternal Order of Eagles, Aerie No. 1372
*11. N.J. State Aerie, Fraternal Order of Eagles (Statewide)
12. Phillipsburg Junior Chamber of Commerce
*13. N.J. Department of Sertoma International (Statewide)
14. Loyal Order of Moose, Lodge No. 512
*15. N.J. State Moose Association, L.L.O.M. (Statewide)
16. Rotary Club of Phillipsburg
17. Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 4949
18. Warren Council 474 Knights of Columbus
19. Warren County Chapter U.N.I.C.O.
20. Warren County Young Democrats
21. Warren County Women's Republican Club
*22. Municipal Clerks Association of N.J. Inc. (Statewide)
23. Phillipsburg Area Chamber of Commerce
24. South Amboy Knights of Columbus Council No. 426
*25. N.J. State Volunteer Firemen's Association (Statewide)
26. League of Women Voters of Phillipsburg
27. Mary T. Norton Democratic Club
28. Phillipsburg Area Republican Council
29. Warren County League of Municipalities
30. Patrolmen's Benevolent Association No. 56
*31. N.J. State Association of Power Engineers (Statewide)
32. N.J. State Association of Power Engineers No. 9
33. Forest No. 14 Tall Cedars of Lebanon
*34. Disabled American Vets Inc. Department of N.J.(Statewide)
*35. N.J. Department of Veterans of Foreign Wars (Statewide)
*36. N.J. State Council Sons & Daughters of Liberty (Statewide)
*37. D.A.V. Auxiliary Inc. Department of N.J. (Statewide)
38. Warren County American Legion Auxiliary
39. Dr. Charles Lyon Memorial Chapter No. 48 D.A.V.
40. District No. 20 Veterans of Foreign Wars
41. Bernard J. Donovan American Legion Post No. 203
42. Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 5193
43. Lyon Memorial Chapter No. 48 D.A.V. Auxiliary
44. Local 746, American Federation of Musicians, covering part of Middlesex, Somerset and Union counties
*45. N.J. State Firemen's Mutual Benevolent Association (Statewide)
*46. American Legion, Department of New Jersey (Statewide)
47. Washington Barracks No. 31, Veterans of World War I
48. Washington Barracks No. 31, Auxiliary, Veterans of World War I
49. Hunterdon County Board of Chosen Freeholders
50. New Jersey Club of Clearwater, Florida (An organization consisting of former New Jerseyans now living in retirement in the Clearwater, Florida area)
51. Young Republicans of Warren County
*52. Young Republicans of New Jersey Inc. (Statewide)
*53. New Jersey Conference of Mayors (Statewide)
I'M FROM NEW JERSEY
I'm From New Jersey and I'm proud about it,
I love the Garden State;
I'm From New Jersey and I want to shout it,
I think it's simply great.
All of the other States throughout the nation,
May mean a lot to some;
But I wouldn't want another, Jersey is like no other,
I'm glad that's where I’m from.