ASSEMBLY, No. 3292
STATE OF NEW JERSEY
INTRODUCED SEPTEMBER 27, 2012
Assemblyman ANGEL FUENTES
District 5 (Camden and Gloucester)
Assemblyman PATRICK J. DIEGNAN, JR.
District 18 (Middlesex)
Assemblywoman VALERIE VAINIERI HUTTLE
District 37 (Bergen)
Assemblyman HERB CONAWAY, JR.
District 7 (Burlington)
Assemblyman PAUL D. MORIARTY
District 4 (Camden and Gloucester)
Assemblywomen Mosquera, Wagner, Assemblyman Eustace, Senators Beach, Ruiz, Madden, Turner and Assemblywoman Jimenez
Requires school districts to provide instruction on responsible use of social media for middle school students as part of the Core Curriculum Content Standards in Technology.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
As reported by the Senate Education Committee on November 14, 2013, with amendments.
An Act concerning social media instruction in public school districts and supplementing chapter 35 of Title 18A of the New Jersey Statutes.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. a. Beginning with the 1[2013-2014] 2014-20151 school year, each school district shall incorporate instruction on the responsible use of social media into the technology education curriculum for students in grades 6 through 8 as part of the district’s implementation of the Core Curriculum Content Standards in Technology.
b. The instruction shall provide students with information on:
(1) the purpose and acceptable use of various social media platforms;
(2) social media behavior that ensures cyber safety, cyber security, and cyber ethics; and
(3) potential negative consequences, including cyber bullying, of failing to use various social media platforms responsibly.
c. The Commissioner of Education shall provide school districts with sample learning activities and resources designed to promote the responsible use of social media.
2. This act shall take effect immediately.