An Act concerning tuition for certain servicemembers at public institutions of higher education and amending P.L.2015, c.32.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. Section 2 of P.L.2015, c.32 (C.18A:62-4.1b) is amended to read as follows:
C.18A:62-4.1b Definitions relative to the “NJTEAM Act.”
2. a. A veteran or covered individual who is living in New Jersey and is attending a public institution of higher education in New Jersey shall be regarded as a resident of the State for the purpose of determining tuition, regardless of the veteran or covered individual's state of residence.
b. As used in this section:
"Covered individual" means:
(1) an individual who is entitled to educational assistance under provisions of the federal "Post-9/11 Educational Assistance" program (38 U.S.C. s.3311(b)(9) or 3319) by virtue of such individual's relationship to a veteran; and
(2) an individual who is entitled to educational assistance under provisions of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs’ “Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program” (38 U.S.C. s.3100 et seq.) effective for courses, semesters, or terms that begin after March 1, 2019.
"Veteran" means a person who has served on active duty in the Uniformed Services of the United States and who was discharged or released and who qualifies for educational assistance under the federal "All-Volunteer Force Educational Assistance Program" (38 U.S.C. s.3001 et seq.) or "Post-9/11 Educational Assistance" program (38 U.S.C. s.3301 et seq.).
2. This act shall take effect immediately.
Approved August 23, 2019.