An Act concerning the ability of certain voters to receive a mail-in ballot for all future elections unless they request otherwise, amending P.L.2018, c.72, and making an appropriation.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. Section 14 of P.L.2018, c.72 (C.19:63-3.1) is amended to read as follows:
C.19:63-3.1 Additions to list of mail-in voters.
14. a. The clerk of each county shall add to the list of registered voters receiving a mail-in ballot for all future elections without further request each voter in the county who requested and received a mail-in ballot for the 2016 general election, and each voter who requested and received a mail-in ballot for any election in 2017 and 2018 by filing a mail-in ballot application following the deadline for applying for a 2016 general election mail-in ballot. Each voter so added to the list shall have the option to inform the clerk in writing that the voter does not wish to receive a mail-in ballot automatically for all future elections.
b. The county clerks shall transmit to each voter who will automatically receive such a ballot for all future elections pursuant to subsection a. of this section a notice informing the voter that he or she will automatically receive a mail-in ballot for all future elections unless the voter informs the clerk in writing that he or she does not wish to receive a mail-in ballot for all future elections.
2. a. The Department of State shall reimburse each county for the actual costs incurred by the county in implementing the provisions of this act.
b. On or before January 1, 2020, the clerk of each county shall certify to the Department of State, in a manner prescribed by the department, the total cost incurred by the county in implementing the provisions of this act.
3. There is appropriated from the General Fund to the Department of State the sum of $2 million to be distributed among the counties subject to the requirements of section 1 of this act as reimbursement for the costs of implementing the provisions of this act.
4. This act shall take effect immediately.
Approved August 28, 2019.