ASSEMBLY, No. 2281
STATE OF NEW JERSEY
INTRODUCED JANUARY 27, 2020
Assemblyman JOHN ARMATO
District 2 (Atlantic)
Assemblyman VINCENT MAZZEO
District 2 (Atlantic)
Assemblywoman VALERIE VAINIERI HUTTLE
District 37 (Bergen)
Senator LINDA R. GREENSTEIN
District 14 (Mercer and Middlesex)
Senator SHIRLEY K. TURNER
District 15 (Hunterdon and Mercer)
Assemblywoman Timberlake, Assemblymen Benson, Houghtaling, Assemblywoman Downey, Assemblymen Holley, Danielsen, Assemblywomen Speight, Reynolds-Jackson, McKnight, Carter, Assemblyman Mejia, Assemblywomen Jimenez, Jasey, Assemblyman McKeon, Assemblywoman Swain, Assemblyman Tully, Assemblywoman Lopez, Assemblyman Conaway, Senators Pou, Diegnan and Gopal
Requires Commissioner of Human Services to streamline SNAP application process for senior citizens and conduct outreach regarding senior SNAP participation.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
As amended by the Senate on March 25, 2021.
An Act concerning the participation of senior citizens in the New Jersey Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and supplementing Title 44 of the Revised Statutes.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. a. The Commissioner of Human Services, to the maximum extent permissible under federal law, shall review and streamline the SNAP application process for senior citizens, as provided in this section. The goal of the streamlining process shall be to ensure that the number of senior SNAP participants either matches or exceeds 1[the national average] New Jersey’s overall SNAP participation rates1.
b. In streamlining the SNAP application process for seniors, as required by this section, the commissioner shall, at a minimum:
(1) develop and make available a simplified SNAP application form for use by seniors;
(2) provide for the increased sharing of data between the State’s various social services programs and platforms; and
(3) authorize, and establish appropriate procedures to facilitate, the simultaneous or cross enrollment of eligible seniors in the Medicaid program and SNAP.
c. The Department of Human Services, working in consultation and cooperation with relevant senior citizen advocacy organizations, shall engage in comprehensive outreach efforts to ensure that all eligible seniors are made aware of their ability to apply for and obtain SNAP benefits through a streamlined and expedited process. At a minimum, the department shall provide outreach at all health care facilities, social service agencies that serve seniors in the State, and other organizations focused on food assistance, and shall use all available media, including print, radio, television, and the Internet, to inform residents on the availability of the streamlined SNAP application process established pursuant to this section.
d. The Commissioner of Human Services shall apply to the Food and Nutrition Service within the United States Department of Agriculture for any necessary waivers or approvals to implement the provisions of this section.
e. As used in this section:
“Commissioner” means the Commissioner of Human Services.
“Department” means the Department of Human Services”
“Medicaid program” means the State Medicaid program, established pursuant to P.L.1968, c.413 (C.30:4D-1 et seq.).
“Senior citizen” or “senior” means a person who is 60 years of age or older.
“SNAP” means the New Jersey Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, established pursuant to the federal “Food and Nutrition Act of 2008,” Pub.L.110-246 (7 U.S.C. s.2011 et seq.).
2. The Commissioner of Human Services shall adopt rules and regulations, pursuant to the “Administrative Procedure Act,” P.L.1968, c.410 (C.52:14B-1 et seq.), as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this act.
3. This act shall take effect immediately.