Assemblyman DANIEL R. BENSON
District 14 (Mercer and Middlesex)
Assemblywoman VALERIE VAINIERI HUTTLE
District 37 (Bergen)
Exempts persons with disabilities and persons who are homeless from payment of identification card fees.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
An Act concerning identification card fees and amending P.L.1980, c.47.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. Section 6 of P.L.1980, c.47 (C.39:3-29.7) is amended to read as follows:
6. a. The chief administrator shall charge fees as follows:
Standard Identification Card, Original $18
Identification Card, Duplicate $5
Identification Card, Renewal $18
REAL ID Identification Card $29
Digitized photograph $6, in addition to the fees required above
b. The chief administrator [may] shall waive the fees established under subsection a. of this section for:
(1) a person who is homeless who submits proof of temporary residence through a social worker or the coordinator of an emergency shelter for the homeless where the person is temporarily residing; and
(2) a person with disabilities who submits proof of disability, as determined by the chief administrator in consultation with the Division of Disability Determination Services, in a form prescribed by the chief administrator.
On or before December 31 of each year, the commission shall report to the Office of Homelessness Prevention in the Department of Community Affairs an accounting of each instance in which the commission provided a fee waiver pursuant to [this section] paragraph (1) of this subsection.
For the purposes of this section, "person who is homeless" means a person without a domicile who is unable to secure permanent and stable housing as determined by a social worker or the coordinator of an emergency shelter for the homeless established pursuant to P.L.1985, c.48 (C.55:13C-1 et seq.).
c. The chief administrator may waive the fee imposed for a duplicate identification card if the applicant, at the time of application: is applying for a REAL ID identification card, as that term is defined in R.S.39:1-1; currently holds a valid identification card issued by the commission; and is not eligible to renew the applicant's current identification card. The chief administrator's authority to waive the duplicate identification card fee under this subsection shall expire on October 1, 2020. In order to receive a REAL ID identification card pursuant to this subsection, the applicant shall first surrender to the commission the applicant's current identification card.
(cf: P.L.2019, c.271, s.18)
2. This act shall take effect on the first day of the thirteenth month after enactment, but the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission may take such administrative action in advance as shall be necessary for the implementation of this act.
This bill exempts persons with disabilities from the payment of identification card fees. The person is required to provide proof of disability, as determined by the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission in consultation with the Division of Disability Determination Services, in a form prescribed by the chief administrator. The bill requires, instead of permits, the chief administrator to waive identification card fees for a person who is homeless and who submits proof of temporary residence through a social worker or the coordinator of an emergency shelter for the homeless where the person is temporarily residing.