An Act concerning notification of foreclosure mediation and amending P.L.2019, c.64.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. Section 3 of P.L.2019, c.64 (C.2A:50-76) is amended to read as follows:
C.2A:50-76 Written notice of eligibility to participate.
3. a. A homeowner-borrower shall receive written notice from the residential mortgage lender of the option to participate in the Foreclosure Mediation Program in accordance with the court rules, procedures, and guidelines adopted by the Supreme Court at the time the homeowner-borrower receives a notice of intention to foreclose, pursuant to section 4 of P.L.1995, c.244 (C.2A:50-56). Upon the filing of a mortgage foreclosure complaint against an eligible property, the homeowner-borrower shall again receive written notice of the option to participate in the Foreclosure Mediation Program in accordance with the court rules, procedures, and guidelines adopted by the Supreme Court.
b. The written notice required pursuant to this section shall be available in both English and Spanish, and shall alert the homeowner-borrower that:
(1) pursuant to subsection b. of section 4 of P.L.2019, c.64 (C.2A:50-77), obtaining the assistance of a trained foreclosure prevention and default mitigation counselor is a prerequisite to participation in mediation; and
(2) pursuant to subsection c. of section 4 of P.L.2019, c.64 (C.2A:50-77), the homeowner-borrower is not required to pay any fees in order to participate in mediation.
2. This act shall take effect on the first day of the sixth month next following enactment.
Approved March 15, 2021.