STATE OF NEW JERSEY
PRE-FILED FOR INTRODUCTION IN THE 2020 SESSION
Senator SAMUEL D. THOMPSON
District 12 (Burlington, Middlesex, Monmouth and Ocean)
Authorizes DMV to offer a red heart-shaped identifying symbol on personalized license plates.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
Introduced Pending Technical Review by Legislative Counsel.
An Act concerning personalized license plates and amending P.L.1959, c.56 and supplementing chapter 3 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. Section 1 of P.L.1959, c.56 (C.39:3-33.3) is amended to read as follows:
1. The Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles is hereby authorized to issue, upon application, registration plates of a particular identifying mark or marks to be displayed as provided in section 39:3-33 of the Revised Statutes, composed of such combination of letters and figures, in accordance with the identification system as may be requested in such application provided that the particular identifying mark so requested is not then issued to and held by some other person or otherwise reserved by the director. The director shall include a symbol in the shape of a heart and red in color as an optional identifying mark for personalized registration plates issued under this section.
(cf: P.L.1959, c.56, s.1)
2. Section 2 of P.L.1959, c.56 (C.39:3-33.4) is amended to read as follows:
2. The director is authorized to charge an additional fee for the issuance of such particular identifying mark in such amount as he may fix from time to time but not in excess of $30 for identifying marks defined by the director to be courtesy marks, and not in excess of $100 for identifying marks defined by the director to be personalized marks, and the amount of such fee shall accompany the application.
The director may charge an additional fee deemed necessary to cover the costs of issuing the red heart identifying mark authorized by section 1 of P.L.1959, c.56.
(cf: P.L.1994, c.60, s.21)
3. (New section) The director shall notify eligible motorists of the opportunity to obtain a red heart identifying mark on personalized license plates by including a notice with all motor vehicle registration renewals, and by posting appropriate posters or signs in all division facilities and offices.
4. This act shall take
effect on the first day of the seventh month after enactment.
This bill would require the Director of the Division on Motor Vehicles to offer a symbol in the shape of a red heart as an identifying mark on personalized license plates. This new identifying mark would allow persons more options when designing personalized license plates. The bill permits the director to charge a fee to cover the costs of issuing the new heart-shaped marks.