P.L. 1997, CHAPTER 79, approved April 24, 1997
Senate, No. 66
An Act concerning certain mutual police and fire aid agreements and amending P.L.1976, c.45.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. Section 1 of P.L.1976, c.45 (C.40A:14-156.1) is amended to read as follows:
1. The governing bodies of two or more municipalities may by reciprocal ordinances enter into agreements with each other for mutual police or fire aid in case of emergency. Such agreements may provide for:
a. The reimbursement of the municipality or municipalities rendering such aid, for any damage to police or fire equipment or other property, and for payment to any member of a police force or fire department and force or volunteer fire company for injuries sustained while serving pursuant to such agreements or to a surviving spouse or other dependent if death results;
b. A joint meeting of the municipalities entering into such agreements, for the selection of necessary officers or personnel, or for such other matters as are mutually deemed necessary; and
c. The acquisition of lands, and the establishment and maintenance of a central office. Real and personal property so acquired shall be held by such municipalities as tenants in common.
The governing body of a municipality may enter into an agreement with any authority created pursuant to an interstate compact for mutual police or fire aid in case of emergency. The agreement may contain provisions similar to the provisions in agreements between municipalities as provided above.
(cf: P.L.1976, c.45, s.1)
2. Section 2 of P.L.1976, c.45 (C.40A:14-156.2) is amended to read as follows:
2. Members of a police force or fire department and force or volunteer fire company in any municipality entering into any agreement hereunder, while on duty rendering assistance to any other municipality or interstate authority created pursuant to an interstate compact entering into said agreement, shall have the same powers, authority and immunities as have the members of the police force or fire department and force or volunteer fire company, as the case may be, of the municipality in which such assistance is being rendered or of the authority for which such assistance is being rendered.
(cf: P.L.1976, c.45, s.2)
3. This act shall take effect immediately.
Permits police and fire mutual aid agreements between municipalities and interstate authorities.